Pitching has been the main topic this off season for the Yankees, and for good reason… Well, pitching and A-Rod, but that’s a given. So, what will I blog about today… A-Rod or Pitching?
I’m sick of writing about A-Rod, that blogging ship has sailed for the time being… So, lets move on to the pitchers.
There is no denying the fact that I love me some Phil Hughes… read this blog, listen to my show, its pretty evident. Anyway… Phil Hughes has been cut and optioned to minor league spring training with the SWB Yankees. Am I mad about this move? You would think so since I’m Pro-Hughes, but I’m not…
In the picture above… Phil is what Tyra would call FIERCE
I understand the value of Hughes being down in the minors. He needs to be down in the minors actually. He and Kennedy should have never been called up in the first place. They were way too young and inexperienced. Sure, they had some highlights, but for the most part, they did… no so great.
Both guys need some time to mature and grow as pitchers in the minors. Sure, some of my feelings are purely selfish, I admit I hope Hughes is with the SWB Yankees for the first 2 weeks of June, so I can see him close up in Charlotte. Selfish, I know, but he needs the work in the minors to build his self back up after a horrible year last year in the majors.
I’m not saying he needs to be in the minors the entire year, but he doesn’t need to have a starting position in the rotation handed to him at the age of 22. Neither does Ian Kennedy. Bad, bad, bad, decision on the Yankees part last year. Make them at least think they have to fight for a spot, don’t just fork it over.
SIDE NOTE: Ian Kennedy makes more money that Phil Hughes… yea, that’s what I said. Either the Yankees have gone crazy, Kennedy has one heck of an agent, or Hughes has one sucky agent… whatever the case, I’m pretty upset about that one.
In other pitching news… Kei Igawa has yet to be cut. He’s thrown 12 and some odd innings of scoreless baseball. WOW big friggin’ whoop, IT’S SPRING TRAINING!!!
I think this is it… this is the golden opportunity all Yankees fans have been waiting for since we realized Igawa was, how do you say… “not very good.” Can you tell I’m excited about this! His own countrymen think he sucks, I would think they would know better than us. Cashman either got some crazy awful scouting reports on Igawa or Igawa fooled everyone… either way it could be a conspiracy (just saying).
I was talking to my man, Bill and we both agreed, Igawa could be sent to the NL and be pretty successful. I think Igawa will be another Jose Contreras, suck while he’s with the Yankees and beast it out when he goes to another team. Trade him to an NL West team and he could be a 10-15 game winner.
Now, all of this brings me to my next point… I’ve heard rumors that the Yankees are opening talks back up with the Milwaukee Brewers to get some trade done to bring Mike Cameron to New York… could they be thinking of trading Igawa? Now, granted that’s the NL Central, but it’s still the NL (not trying to start anything with NL fans, I’m just an AL girl…)
On to Mike Cameron, I’m not a fan of mediocre, middle aged outfielders, even though (again, my guy Bill says) Cameron has some mad range. I think Swish and Gardy can get it done in CF. I’m sorry I know Gardy is probably a quadruple-A player, but I love that dude. So much heart… I guess it’s the high school softball coach side of me that loves Gardy. When I have a girl who plays her heart out, even if she’s not the best on the team, she’s getting playing time!
Yes, I know this pic has nothing to do with anything, but I couldnt resist…
Final Whisper: I have a major announcement coming tomorrow. Everyone tune in to A Show of Their Own tomorrow at 9pm EST to find out what it is. Our URL is www.blogtalkradio.com/ashowoftheirown If you can’t make it to the show, I’ll post the big news on this blog as well after the show.
Baseball Nerdish as Always,
This is Brit, you know, the Yankees fan. I don’t know if you surf the web, but if you do… I’d like to write this open prayer-letter to you. I know you’ve heard this same dialog half a million times now from me, but I figure if I write it down and put it on this blog it will be on here forever and I can stop bothering you every day with the same requests.
God, I know I always say, “If you let the Yankees win this time, I’ll stop bothering you about sports” only to say it again the next day, week, or season. But this time, I’m serious… If you help me out with these twelve requests, I will stop bothering you with baseball prayers, I’ll help the poor, nurture the sick, whatever you want me to do…
1. I want to personally ask you to make this spring training go by fast. I’m sick of writing about Alex Rodriguez, steroids, shady cousins, and disappointed players and fans. This plea is purely selfish; true I want the best for Alex, but honestly…
I need something to blog about other than Alex. I also would like to get through an episode of A Show of Their Own without mentioning the “S-word,” (steroids). I think the faster these pointless (well pointless to fans) exhibition games are over and real baseball starts everything will blow over. The media will have a pennant race to write about, injuries to report, and quotes about the game to record. They will have little interest in steroids, at least that’s what I’m hoping.
2. I want to get back to baseball, the actual game, not all the off field drama. What ever happened to the good old days where baseball players were baseball players, not Hollywood celebrities with a gang of paparazzi surrounding them. I want to return to that time. Why does it matter who’s dating what model or who’s living’ it up in some club? That’s the players’ business, not ours. Sure, its fun to see a different side of the players. It makes me feel like I know the players on a more personal level, but I don’t think this celebrity worship is good for baseball.
3. Please give Derek Jeter the range, strength, power, and speed to play shortstop until he’s 100 years old. I just cannot imagine a world without Jeter at short. You allowed me to “come up” with Jeter, Mo, and Posada and so, I think it would be really cruel for them to be taken away from me.
4. Please help Girardi see that Joba needs to be in the bullpen, forever. He’s not a starting pitcher, not in the majors. Help Girardi, Cashman, Steinbrenner, and et. al. see that Joba can help us more if he comes out of the pen. It would make more sense to have Joba come out of the pen for 65 games or so and help us win games with his power pitching rather than him start for 30 games and get taken out after 3 or 4 innings because everyone knows what he’s got and he’s not letting the ball fly.
5. Also, God… Please help our young pitchers. Hughes and Kennedy especially. I really think they can be great starters for us down the stretch, but I want to see them in the minors to start the year. Make them earn their way back up to the majors with good old fashion hard work and scoreless innings. I know they can do it, they’ve done it before. Oh, also, please keep Phil Hughes in triple-A until July 1st (you know why).
6. Please help Jason Johnson overcome his battle with cancer. He seemed to be working really hard to get back to the majors with the Yankees this year and I don’t want him to not be able to accomplish that.
7. Please help Edwar Ramirez gain some weight. It worries me to watch him pitch. If a line drive ever hit him square, he’d probably die. I think the ball would actually pass through his body… that’s how tiny he is.
8. Help Wang, Posada, and Matsui heal completely. If we want to win this year, we need them to be on top of their game! How cool is it that our Ace from the last few years is now our number 3 starter!
9. Please give Nick Swisher patience. I don’t know what Girardi has in store for Nick, but I like this guy. He’s like a miniature version of Giambi. Very spunky. I don’t want him to get discouraged and lose his charm and personality in the club house.
10. Help A.J. and C.C. fit in perfectly with the team, perform well, and stay healthy.
11. Make the New York Media realize that C.C. would like the dots in his name since, in fact, it is the initials of his first and middle names.
12. Help the Yankees stay healthy and help the Yankees win the division and the World Series for the next 100 years in a row.
You’ve given me and the Yankees so much in the past, but I hope you will find it in you some where to grant me these twelve requests. I know I’m not the only Yankee fan praying for these things, so I hope you will take the other Yankees fans’ prayers in to account to.
Well, here I am again… about to make an excuse about why its been a while since my last blog. Truth is, I’ve been very busy and for good reason. Midterms have been going on for the past week and a half. I have one more to take on Thursday then spring break begins! So far, I’ve made a 100, 100, 93, and 90. So I guess all that studying paid off (and yes I am bragging because this is the first time in my 2 ½ years of college that I’ve made a 100 on tests) Anyway, I’d just be writing about A-Rod anyway… so you didn’t miss much haha
So, this blog is going to be a mixture of things, a mental vomit of sorts…
Who else could I start with? I actually uttered the words “I feel sorry for Alex” a few times on the past few episodes of A Show of Their Own. Whoa, did I really say that? I mean this is the guy I HATED when he first came to New York. I felt like he was going to push Jeter to the side and become the new golden boy (gee how wrong I was). Seriously though, I was so mad when A-Rod first came to NY, then when I realized he wasn’t going to steal Jeter’s job I was ok with him… then I started to hate him again after the Toronto stripper incident, because I think Cynthia Rodriguez (or whatever she calls herself now) is the coolest baseball wife ever. Then all was forgiven again with Alex. Now, I’m hurt he did steroids and lied, but I feel bad for him at the same time. This guy just cannot catch a break. Truth is, if he would have told the truth this would have all blown over a lot faster, but he decided to lie and he should know journalists are always in pursuit of the truth and they will uncover it… geez Alex come on!
All that being said, I think I had a pretty decent rant about Alex on the last two episodes of A Show of Their Own. Since I cant remember what all I said, I’d urge you to go take a listen… you’re bound to disagree with me, but maybe you agree who knows.
Alex has hired another guy to manage this circus… Alex look at me in the eyes right now… JUST HIRE ME AND I WILL FIX EVERYTHING, HEY I KNOW WE ARE IN A RESESSION, I’LL WORK FOR FREE! Seriously Alex, I can help plus it would look good for you to hire me, just think about it. I’ve given him so much free positive press I think he owes me, just kidding. Brian Cashman
I understand that baseball is a business. I also understand that if you want your “assets” to do well, you need to act like you give a crap about them. How COLD was Cash-money at the press conference? True, Alex’s fake crying did see contrived, but still… show the guy and the media that you support him. Put your hand on his shoulder for a millisecond or something GAH!!! It just seems very counterproductive to me. Cash-money knows that Alex needs others to like him and he needs the affection of others, Alex needed cash-money to show some sympathy towards the situation rather than just sitting there looking like an evil puffed up bullfrog. And what is this “asset” deal? He’s still a human being, cash… sooo sooo cold. Poor Alex (see, this is why I feel bad for the cheater). FYI: Bald Vinny has a hilarious shirt about Alex if you are anti-alex or anti-cheater or just find this whole situation hilarious. http://baldvinny.com/
Derek Jeter is the media KING. Seriously, he will never look bad in the media, unless he does something stupid during a game, other than that… Jeter can do no wrong basically. So, Jeter is mad at Alex, but supports him at the first time. And this is not a steroid era… not everyone is doing it. I don’t think everyone is doing it, but there is a high enough percentage that is… other wise this whole congress messing with baseball wouldn’t exist. Whatever… I’m so over steroids. I just want to get back to baseball, please for sake of the game!
Is quickly becoming my new favorite Yankee! I think he’s taking over Giambi’s old role in the clubhouse… clubhouse clown or something like that. I guess its from all those years in easy going Cali, at least that’s what Lisa (girlybaseballchick.mlblogs.com) thinks. Girardi cancelled workouts today and took the guys to play pool… Good for him, finally he’s figuring out that it doesn’t do anyone any good being so serious 100% of the time.
Games start Wednesday! Brett Tomko will be the starter. I’m personally looking forward to Thursday, Friday, and Saturday’s games… Hughes, Kennedy, and Chamberlain will be the respective starters. I’m really keen on Austin Romine. I saw him in Charleston last year and he is a great catcher in my opinion… its just a matter of adjusting to major league pitchers. But that’s not to say he will be with the Yankees anytime soon… he’s got a lot of time to develop and such.
FINAL WHISPER: I’m addicted to XtraNormal.com now… you can all thank Jane for my stupid videos haha just kidding. Seriously though, I got another one on the way…
Oh, For all you Joey Salvia fans out there, Joey will be appearing on The Brew and Bill Show tonight at 10pm, so go to BrewandBillShow.com for more information!
Baseball Nerdish as Always,