Today is an incredibly historic day in the USA. Later today, President – elect, Barack Obama will be sworn in and become President of the United States of America. Obama has worked as a community organizer, and practiced as a civil rights attorney before being elected to the Illinois senate. Obama has helped create legislation to control conventional weapons, promotes greater public accountability, and a slew of other great things. To learn more about President Obama click here.
History is in the making for the USA, so naturally, I’m thinking baseball… I wonder what Jackie Robinson, Larry Doby, Hank Thompson, and all the others would say about today’s inauguration. I’m sure they would have a huge smile on their face.
Race has always been an issue in America. From the day the Europeans landed in the New World, we’ve been concerned about race. Over the years one would think the racial antipathy would die down… I think we’ve made great strides, but we still have a long way to go.
Sure, we’ve had some great figures in the civil rights movement… Abe Lincoln, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, Frederic Douglas… the list goes on and on. But, the guys I think made the biggest impact on the civil rights movement are Jackie Robinson, Larry Doby, Hank Thompson, Minnie Minoso, Ernie Banks, and all the other athletes that broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball. I’ve always heard that baseball is the one sport that you can look at and tell what’s going on in America. Without these guys, who knows what would have happened in American history. I think we need to honor the first African – American baseball players just as much as we do civil rights leaders.
If Major League Baseball ruled the world and we had to elect a baseball player as president, I wonder who America would vote in…
Maybe Ken Griffey Jr…
Curt Schilling seems to enjoy the political scene on his blog
What about Big Papi, I might consider voting for him…
Derek Jeter would win the women voter demographic for sure… In fact, he’s got my vote.
FINAL Whisper: I will not be in DC today for the inauguration, but I’m working on a plan to get out of class today to enjoy all the inauguration day festivities from my home. We’ll see how that works out.
Baseball Nerdish as Always,
Monday on A Show of Their Own we are going to start off by discussing our Yankees New Year Resolutions. I don’t usually make resolutions; I’d just break them on January 2nd anyway. But, since my Yankees are involved I thought I’d give it a go.
So, without further ado, here are my 2009 Yankees New Year Resolutions:
– I resolve to lay off the A-Rod & Madonna theories and jokes.
– I resolve to not care if Jeter ever gets married
– I resolve to make everyone else see how great a pitcher Phil Hughes is
– I resolve to not lust for Grady Sizemore during Yankees/Indians games
– I resolve to not yell at my television when I’m subject to watching Yankees/Red Sox games on NESN
– I resolve to not to make fun of the NESN commentators accents.
– I resolve to stand strong and not buy every single novelty first season patch, coin, dirt, etc
– I resolve to not let fans from other teams get on my last nerve
– I resolve to learn more about our prospects
– I resolve to watch as much of the MLB Network as my life allows
Final Whisper: I think the last two resolutions are the only ones that stand a chance…
Baseball Nerdish as Always,